Updated: 5/6/2022. Time marches on. Check out the HISTORY section at the bottom of Carl’ Woodturning Blog Intro for latest information.
Not me! My blog and web site! Well, maybe NOT meaner!
I got an email from GoDaddy on 3/25/2020 (almost 2 years ago). It said my old GoDaddy Linux hosting service would be upgraded for FREE to a shiny new service. They have finally come thru on 1/8/2022. It only took 21 months!
I have really been waiting for this! Their old service was slow, limited to PHP 5.4, and no HTTPS.
In the last year Google has changed how they rank web sites, etc. If you don’t change to be compatible with what Google wants then they ignore you.
In my opinion there is no point to having a web site if no one can find it. Thus in the last 2
years I have done a lot of work to change things for Google and GoDaddy upgrade.
Here are some of things I have done.
- Downsized and moved all of my photos to be inside of WordPress. For faster web page loads. This was a huge effort.
- Installed the Yoast SEO plugin in Wodpress. SEO is “Search Engine Optimization”
- Wrote new short meta descriptions for 130+ blog entries. For SEO. Another big effort.
- Improved readability of my posts for SEO.
- Installed WP-Super-Cache to cache all of my pages. Faster!
- Upgrade from PHP 5.4 to PHP 7.4. Faster! More secure.
- Obtained a Security Certificate and switched from HTTP to HTTPS.
- Changed my menus, etc to look better and work better on Smart Phones and Tablets.
- Fixed up my Categories and Tags in my Blog.
- Looked for and fixed all broken links, etc.
My website is really fast now! GeoPeeker (ww.geopeeker.com) is a web site that lets you measure the speed of a web site with pictures. It says my website home page loads in 58ms (58 thousandths of a second) in Virginia. Only 20ms in California on 1/15/22 at 11:42am EST (prime time).
Note: A millisecond (from milli- and second; symbol: ms) is a thousandth (0.001 or 10−3 or 1/1000) of a second.
One thought on “Leaner, Meaner & Faster”
Sounds like a huge effort
Comments are closed.