I put all of my Teaching Handouts here on the same page to make it easier to search for what you want.
- A Modern Lamp for any Table - August 1, 2021 [Carl's For Students]
Link to Carl's "A Modern Lamp for any Table" AAW magazine article PDF. How to turn a wooden lamp that looks great! A skill building project.
- Airbrushed Wood Dyes & Web Fx Paint Demo - September 9, 2019 [Carl's For Students]
Link to Carl's PDF handout for Nutmeg “Airbushed Wood Dyes and Web-FxPaint Demo” on 9/9/2019
- Antique Candlestick Demo - February 28, 2014 [Carl's For Students]
Link to Carl's PDF handout for "Antique Candlesticks" demo. Turning new Antique Candlesticks is a great way to improve your spindle turning skills and use up scraps of wood.
- Big, Bold & Fast Surface Decoration Demo - December 7, 2018 [Carl's For Students]
Link to Carl's PDF handout for his "Big, Bold & Fast Surface Decoration" demo. The surface decoration techniques that Carl learned from Clay Foster in a June 2018 class with John Jordan and Clay Foster.
- Bosch Stabilizer Improvements - May 3, 2021 [Carl's For Students]
Three small quick and easy improvements to Trent Bosch Hollowing Tool Stabilizer.
- Burnishing Tool for Wood Lathe - February 27, 2022 [Carl's For Students]
Carl uses a home made burnisher to burnish the textures that he creates with his Sorby Spiraling and Texture Tool. Making a burnisher is easy and cheap.
- Carl’s Carving Stand - December 27, 2021 [Carl's For Students]
Carl's Carving Stand is bare bones simple and works good! You can make your own. It allows you to easily carve any piece of work attached to a wood lathe chuck or faceplate.
- Carl’s Chainsaw Bench - June 19, 2020 [Carl's For Students]
Carl's chainsaw bench is built like a tank. For woodturners. It was designed to make things safer. Photos & plan PDF.
- Carl’s Custom Centering Cones - January 1, 2008 [Carl's For Students]
Link to Carl's "Custom Centering Cones" AAW magazine article PDF. What they are. Why live center cones are useful. How to make your own out of UHMW.
- Carl’s Grinder Stand - May 18, 2021 [Carl's For Students]
Carl likes having the center of his grinder wheel 46" off the floor on a stand that he can easily move around his studio.
- Carl’s Tool Rest Design - May 29, 2020 [Carl's For Students]
Carl prefers, woodturning tools rests with a 1/2" wide, almost flat area on top of the tool rest. Like his VB36 tool rests. Photos and plan PDF.
- Carl’s Travel Tool Set - December 2, 2018 [Carl's For Students]
Carl's Travel Woodturning Tool Set. A set that can be EASILY take to demos, club meetings and symposiums. Carl also recommends this set for new turners.
- Carl’s Turntable for Finishing - January 1, 2022 [Carl's For Students]
Carl made his own turntable. He often uses it when painting and finishing things. It really helps him get a nice even finish on things with out finger prints.
- Crown Verses Sorby Spiraling & Texturing Tool - April 13, 2020 [Carl's For Students]
Carl likes the Crown Spiraling tool better than the Sorby. Why? Wheel comparison chart. How to add a knob to improve the Crown or Sorby tool.
- Custom Tool Handles - May 10, 2015 [Carl's For Students]
Link to Carl's "Custom Tool Handles" AAW magazine article PDF. How to make your own Custom Tool Handles from PVC Pipe and Heat Shrinkable Fabric or Elastic Mesh Sleeve.
- D-Way Negative Rake Scraper - April 23, 2022 [Carl's For Students]
Carl likes and recommends D-Way Tools (brand) 1" Long & Strong Curved NEG Rake Scraper BM-NRS-34-LSC.
- Essential Books & DVDs for Students - March 13, 2015 [Carl's For Students]
Carl's recommended and Must Have Woodturning Books and DVDs. By topic: Spindle Turning, Bowl Turning, Project Books, Picture Books, Hollow Forms, etc.
- Face Shields - April 22, 2019 [Carl's For Students]
Carl reviews face shields. Face shields are HIGHLY PERSONAL. Therefore you should try before you buy. What are your options? Powered vs non powered. Etc.
- Get A Grip - November 7, 2018 [Carl's For Students]
Link to Carl's "Get A Grip" AAW magazine "tips section" PDF. Adding a layer of elastic mesh sleeve to a tool handle is a cheap and easy way to get a better grip.
- Golden Ratio Calipers - March 13, 2022 [Carl's For Students]
Carl made a set of "Golden Ratio Calipers". He likes to use the "Golden Ratio" (1.618…) when turning hollow forms and wide rim plates. It allows him to create things with pleasing proportions found in nature.
- Gouge Sharpening Templates - May 17, 2013 [Carl's For Students]
Link to Carl's PDF handout for his "Sharpening Templates". For Ellsworth, Stirt, Jordan, and Hosaluk gouge grinds. Use with Wolverine and Ellsworth jigs.
- Guitar String Wire Burners - January 13, 2021 [Carl's For Students]
Quick Tip: If you use Acoustic Guitar Wire Burners to friction burn lines with the lathe running they work better than Piano Wire. What size wire? How to make your own.
- Lathe Accessories for a New Turner - February 5, 2019 [Carl's For Students]
Carl's suggestions for a new woodturner. Join the AAW, Take a Class, Turning Tools, Faceplates, Drill Chuck, 4 Jaw Chuck, and Turning Smocks.
- Lathe Shower Curtains - March 26, 2015 [Carl's For Students]
Tip: CLOTH Shower Curtains are great for quick clean up. Make your own hooks and track (EMT pipe) to minimize the cost. Cloth! No plastic!
- Martel 4 Way Caliper - October 25, 2020 [Carl's For Students]
Carl recommends the Martel 4 Way Caliper. Expensive and worth every penny! The unique shape of the Martel calipers makes them really useful for measuring the depth of things (plates, bowls and hollow forms) while they are still on the chuck!
- Mounting Plates and Shallow Bowls - November 16, 2019 [Carl's For Students]
Link to Carl's "Drilled Chucking Recess" AAW magazine "tips section" PDF. A 2-1/2″ diameter hole is an easy and secure way to mount blanks for plates and shallow bowls on the lathe.
- Natural Edge Bowls Demo - July 16, 2009 [Carl's For Students]
Link to Carl's PDF handout for "Natural Edge Bowls" demo. How to turn natural edge bowls using the versatile David Ellsworth Signature Gouge. And Carl's step by step Bowl Turning Process (Cut Edge and Natural Edge).
- New Power Carving Burs 2021 - November 21, 2021 [Carl's For Students]
Carl discovers and reviews Manpa Concave Eye Cutters, Manpa Mini Triangle & Round Cutters, Rotary Chisels, and Maillefer Concave Cutter Burrs.
- Oneway Big Bite Spur Center - May 8, 2020 [Carl's For Students]
Carl recommends the “Oneway Big Bite Spur” center for driving big things. Big blanks for bowls or logs for hollow forms. It only costs around $20 on 5/5/2020.
- Oneway Jaw Jigs - September 29, 2021 [Carl's For Students]
Carl's Tenon Size and Hole Size jigs for the Oneway Stronghold Chuck with #2 or #3 profiled jaws.
- Paint Brushes & Acrylic Paint - October 9, 2021 [Carl's For Students]
Carl recommends paint brushes and acrylic paint for painting on the wood lathe with the lathe running.
- Painting On The Lathe For Dummies Demo - August 18, 2008 [Carl's For Students]
Link to Carl's PDF handout for "Painting On the Lathe" demo. Painting with the lathe running is easy! It is a great way to spice up and make beautiful artwork out of boring cheap wood.
- Pistol Style Airbrush - September 12, 2020 [Carl's For Students]
Carl recommends a Pistol Style Airbrush for people who have trouble with a trigger on top style airbrush.
- Round Ball Carving Burrs - November 22, 2020 [Carl's For Students]
Good, but not great, round ball carving burrs from Rio Grande. 3/16" and bigger.
- Sanding Cheat Sheet - April 1, 2020 [Carl's For Students]
Carl's "Sanding Cheat Sheet" ties all of his sanding blog entries together. Wet Wood? Then use ... Already Finished? Spindle Turning? Bowl or Hollow Form?
- Shopmade Collet Chuck - November 19, 2018 [Carl's For Students]
Link to Carl's "Shopmade Collet Chuck" AAW magazine article PDF. How to make your own custom collet chucks out of UHMW plastic.
- Silky Landscape Saw - May 10, 2022 [Carl's For Students]
Quick Tip: Carl recommends a Silky Gomboy 210 Landscape Saw for woodturning. He uses it to cut off the tenon on woodturnings.
- So you want to buy a lathe? A real lathe? - July 31, 2015 [Carl's For Students]
Carl's unbiased comparison, review and recommendation of Woodturning Lathes for people who are interested in purchasing a real lathe. Powermatic, Oneway, Vicmarc, Robust, Laguna, Jet, and Nova lathes. 110 vs 220 volts. Lathes that Carl does not recommend.
- Turning Smocks & Low Cost Alternatives - February 28, 2019 [Carl's For Students]
Carl reviews Turning Smocks and suggests some low cost alternatives. Get one before nature calls or "She Who Must be Obeyed" outlaws woodturning due to shavings in the house.
- Wolverine Grinder Jig Setup - April 8, 2020 [Carl's For Students]
Carl recommends the Wolverine Grinder Jig. It is the de facto standard! Here is how Carl recommends setting up your Wolverine.
- Woodburners & Pyrography - April 28, 2013 [Carl's For Students]
Carl's take on the best Woodburners, Tips, & Books for woodturners. What he recommends for his students.
Currently there are 157 posts in Carl's blog. Posts may be assigned to more than one category.
Currently there are 1 categories on this page with 41 posts.